Friday 17 August 2012

Stepping up....

I'm enjoying this blogging thing.......after all I am a lady with too many words bursting to pop out to the annoyance of all that know me!

I have belief if you really want something to happen go get it!!!!!!...lose all your inhibitions..work out what you want..create a series of small rungs on the big ladder and tick them off as you go.   

A resent example is that I have loved creating the Doodlebug characters so much that last year it reach a stage where those many words started to turn into a children's story...lots of ideas for books...yes I have written one...and I have ideas for 5 more.  

The issue being that I knew nothing about illustrating, writing and publishing your own book...I thought it was easy..wrote my draft and emailed through to Five mile press.  No idea that I needed to do a lot more before I reached that point.  So I decided I need a mentor..My favourite children's Illustrator author..... well there are a few, Dr Zeus, A.A Mile, Beatrix Potter and currently Lauren Child.  Well the first 3 were for obvious reasons not a good choice..I thought Lauren child would be a goer..but alas , I emailed her publisher...she's too big in the world of children's literature to turn her attention to little me. 

 So one day I was at my 8 year old sons school doing the mummy goddess thing of classroom help with the kidlets and there it was the book that changed everything for me.  I had to read to the class 'Button Boy' by Sue DeGennaro and as I turned each page I fell more and more in love with her illustrations.  So I went home Googled her name realised she was melbourne based and had illustrated and written a few books under the publisher scholastic...so I grabbed her contact details and drafted my first email to her....to my surprise she responded...I'd found my mentor!!! YEY

She told me of how she runs class's at the CAE in melbourne...the issue was I lived too far away to attend night class's once a week...which resulted in the two of us concocting a workshop to run here in Albury /Wodonga.....So far I have booked the swanky new Arts space as the venue, Created the poster, searched for funding, I have 8 places booked 10 is min 15 max...and its not running until october 13th so very happy!  



So I'll leave you with this thought.."When Mohammed cant go to the mountain bring the mountain to Mohammed"

No comments:

Post a Comment