Tuesday 21 August 2012

Bright Sparks made me sparkle..

Well i'm soooo tired but I have had an amazing few day...learning...learning and more learning..   As I said in a previous post yesterday I attended a one day workshop called BrightSparks through Murray Arts.  Wow my head is spinning what a great experience...especially for creatives that are considering setting themselves up in business.  

I had a one on one consultation with a business advisor from Enterprise Connect called Tony Shannon. This was where i pitched Doodelbugs to him hope for some constructive feedback...I even took in some sample and created a slide show....very swish.  Well Tony gave me good advise...I walked away very inspired these where a few of the tips:


  • Create a strong online presence...Blog, Facebook, and Website
  • Start off not outlaying a huge amount for a website...there are commission based companies out there like portable tv
  • Have a strong story behind the business!Dont devalue your work"
  • Do the maths first...work out your costs and revenue..
  • Don't create a huge amount of stock keep it small.
  • Work like a fashion designer...create seasonal collections/ranges
  • Decide who your customers are..
  • Get out there meet your clients...ie: the retail outlets you will sell too
  • SELL...SELLL..SELL
  • Put a marketing pack together..
  • Go through an agent to distribute your cards
Here is a quote from Tony Shannon:

"NEVER devalue your work...Always explain why you charge what you do...people are not just buying and paying for the time you put into the actual product they are paying for all the years of experience and education to get you to where you are producing a product of such a high standard!"


There were also some amazing industry professional talking about their journey in creating successful business's.  I found Rachel Bending from 'BIRD' textiles excellent...she has created a fantastic business model....proving that you can be successful going green and ethical in your approach...this has helped me to decide which way I go.......but it did raise the issue "How green is Green?"

No comments:

Post a Comment